I love chocolate, but I also have a big sweet tooth for butterscotch. When I got this vintage cookbook for Christmas, this was the recipe I was dying to try first. I’ve made them twice now, and they are just incredible. No butterscotch morsels, this is the real way to get real butterscotch flavor!
Butterscotch Brownies (makes 2-3 dozen)
- 1 1/2 cups butter (3 sticks)
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I went sans nuts, myself)
- Place butter, sugar in pan over low heat; cook until melted, stirring constantly; cool slightly
- Combine eggs, vanilla, butter-sugar mixture; blend
- Sift flour & salt together; add in 2 additions; beat well after each addition; add nuts
- Pour into 15″ by 10″ pan; spread evenly. (I don’t have a pan that size. I used a 13″ by 9″ pan)
- Bake 30 minutes in oven at 325 degrees F
- Cool slightly, cut into squares
- Attempt to make the brownies last longer than one day. It takes real willpower, seriously.